Hampton Univeristy Proton Therapy Institute
Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) is seeking a Radiation Therapy Assistant (PRN) to support the Therapy department with proton therapy treatments and CT simulations while working alongside other professionals and support staff as the need arises.
HUPTI is the nation’s 8th proton therapy facility and the largest free-standing proton clinic in the world. The state-of-the-art treatment and research center has four gantry rooms and one fixed beam room. HUPTI has been treating prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast, CNS and other cancers since August 2010. HUPTI uses IBA’s Proteus 235 proton therapy delivery system, VeriSuite for IGRT, MOSAIQ Oncology Information System (Elekta), Eclipse Proton Treatment Planning system (Varian) and a 4D-PET/CT for simulations (Philips), and a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MR Ingenia 3T) by Philips.
Our Proteus 235 system is equipped with IBA’s universal nozzles. We are using Uniform Scanning, Double Scattering, and Pencil Beam Scanning treatment delivery techniques in our treatment rooms.
Radiation Therapy Assistant (PRN)
The Radiation Therapy Assistant (RTA) reports directly to the Chief Radiation Therapist (CRT). The RTA provides exceptional patient care and safely assists Therapist with delivering proton therapy treatments and CT simulations following HUPTI policies and procedures with the highest quality and compassion for patients and their families.
- Respond effectively/timely to patient inquiries and referring medical questions to appropriate personnel to assure his/her understanding.
- Escort patients as needed and aid in CT sim patient preparations.
- Assist with properly placing treatment devices such as apertures and compensators.
- Maintain awareness of the MRI zones to ensure safety for staff and patients.
- Effectively and in a timely manner communicate operational workflow challenges with the Lead Radiation Therapist(s) and/or Chief Radiation Therapist.
- Maintain effective working relationships with patients, caregivers, management, staff and the public.
- Able to successfully pass HUPTI basic radiation and MRI safety training through MedTrainer.
- Assure the efficient operation of workflow within the department by performing other duties as assigned by the Chief Radiation Therapist or Lead Radiation Therapist(s).
- Competent, dependable, and thorough.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and high-quality results oriented.
- Demonstrate the ability to be pro-active and have a sense of urgency.
- Successfully handles issues through conflict resolution.
- Cooperative and able to build collaborative relationships.
- Possesses great interpersonal communication skills.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Some relevant college and/or experience is preferred.
- Associates or BSc in a related field of study is highly preferred.
- Be able to physically assist patients entering and exiting the treatment/scanning area, as well as on and off the treatment table which requires to push, pull, hold, and lift up to 50 lbs. with the use of hands/fingers for fine motor skills.
- Willing to work Monday – Friday, 8am – 8pm with the ability to work flexible hours/days depending on patient needs and department volume.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, PRN, Temporary
- 8 hour shift
- Afternoon shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- No weekends
Work Location: In person
How To Apply:
To apply for employment with the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, send your completed application form and current resume to: HR @HamptonProton.org.