Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY PROTON THERAPY INSTITUTE HAMPTON, VA 23666
Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) is seeking a Clinical Physicist Assistant to assist the Physics department in optimal care of proton treatments delivered to the patients in the safest method.
HUPTI is the nation’s 8th proton therapy facility and the largest free-standing proton clinic in the world. The state-of-the-art treatment and research center has four gantry rooms and one fixed beam room. HUPTI has been treating prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast, CNS and other cancers since August 2010.
Clinical Physicist Assistant
The Clinical Physicist Assistant reports directly to the Chief Medical Physicist while working alongside other professionals and support staff. The Clinical Physicist Assistant maintains a safe environment for patients, personnel, and visitors by assisting with regular Quality Assurance (QA) in radiation safety and regulatory requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work alongside with other physics professionals and assist in the general medical physics duties pertaining to safely operating a proton radiotherapy clinic.
- Gain experience in simple plan checks, QA preparations/delivery, daily and monthly equipment/machine calibration.
- Assist the Clinical Physicists in performing daily, monthly, and annual QA for the beam-delivery, ion chambers, water phantoms, and imaging systems.
- Learn and perform daily patient-specific QA within treatment rooms using ion chambers and IBA’s matrix.
- Train with Clinical Physicists on measurements or other evaluations as necessary to ensure accurate dose delivery for proton radiotherapy treatments.
- Complete and maintain proper records of all required documentation relating to radiation treatment plans and equipment, QA, and calibration records.
- Assist with Eclipse | Varian computerized treatment plans and the flow of information or images between simulation, planning, and delivery as needed.
- Participate in maintenance of proton radiotherapy quality assurance programs and the commissioning of proton therapy equipment.
- Support and be involved in the physics research and development projects ongoing in the institution.
- Use independent judgment and apply learned methodologies according to established policy and procedures.
- Uphold, maintain, and establish adequate protocols to ensure accurate patient dosimetry.
Assure the efficient operation of workflow within the department by performing other duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Physicist.
- Knowledge of Eclipse | Varian treatment planning system and MOSAIQ Oncology Information System is highly preferred.
- Experience in proton radiotherapy is preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrate ability to read and interpret documents or outputs from the software computer programs.
- Minor weightlifting (i.e., to handle aperture, compensator, QA devices, etc. 25 – 50 lb.) required.
- Associate degree in Science or Physics.
- Bachelor of Science or PhD in Physics is a plus.
- Machine shop experience with CMMs highly preferred.
- Demonstrate ability to read and interpret documents or outputs from the computer.
- Familiarity with mechanical inspection instruments such as calipers and micrometers.
- Intermediate to expert computer skills including computational scripting, C#, or JAVA programs in addition to the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to push, pull, hold, and lift up to 50 lbs with the use of hands/fingers for fine motor skills.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to work well within a team.
- Flexibility to work shifts from 6:30am to 3:30pm or 12:30pm to 9:30pm.
- COVID-19 vaccination and booster or an approved medical/religious exemption required.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- What are your Salary Expectations?
- If selected for this role, How soon could you start?
Work Location: In person
How To Apply:
To apply for employment with the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, send your completed application form and current resume to: HR @HamptonProton.org.